Suffering from allergies? Here are some healthy tips that will help you sniffle less and think a bit more clearly. Try the following foods or groups of foods to alleviate your allergies naturally.
1. Foods that contain vitamin C help fight allergies because this important vitamin
boosts the immune system, is a powerful antioxidant and has anti-histamine
2. Omega 3 fatty acids help reduce inflammation in the body which will alleviate
allergies. Salmon, flax seeds, chia seeds, and walnuts are great sources of these healthy fats. Omega 3’s reduce inflammation by inhibiting prostaglandins that cause allergic responses. Also, when the ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 fats is too high, there is more inflammation in the body. By including more omega 3 fats, the balance of omega 3 to omega 6 becomes more favorable with less allergy symptoms.
3. Red wine, onions, apples, and berries are all high in quercetin which is an
antioxidant that reduces the amount of histamine released in the body. Due to the reduction in histamine, allergy symptoms are reduced, especially nasal congestion.
4. Spicy or hot foods, hot fluids and clear soups help thin the mucus and clear nasal passages. Use cayenne pepper, hot ginger, fenugreek, onion and garlic when cooking your favorite recipes.
5. Probiotics may reduce allergies related to pollen. Kefir and yogurt are excellent food sources of Lactobacillusacidophilus. Make sure the label says“live active cultures.” Probiotics are also available in supplement form.
6. Pineapple contains bromelain, a powerful antioxidant, in addition to vitamin C. Bromelain helps with the absorption of quercetin which was shown about to reduce the histamine levels in the body. Bromelain also helps with the production of anti-inflammatory prostaglandins and inhibits prostaglandins that produce histamine, thereby reducing allergic symptoms. Just like bromelain, ginger root inhibits prostaglandins that cause inflammation.
Allergies be gone!