.

PHOTOS: Fire Burns Studio City Home, Causes $600K in Damages

Eighty-eight firefighters kept the blaze confined to the third floor and attic of the residence.

Patch file photo.
Patch file photo.

Firefighters today extinguished a greater-alarm fire at a three-story residence on a steep hillside street in Studio City, but not before the flames caused $600,000 in damage, authorities said today.

The fire at the 3,966-square-foot house in the 3600 block of Potosia Avenue was reported just before midnight Wednesday. No one was home at the time.

Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Brian Humphrey said 88 firefighters kept the blaze confined to the third floor and attic of the residence, knocking it down in 41 minutes.

He said the fire caused an estimated $500,000 in damage to the structure, mainly the third floor, and $100,000 in damage to its contents.

The fire's likely cause was an electric clothes iron left unattended when the owner left the home earlier in the evening, Humphrey said.

No injuries were reported.

--City News Service


Christine Shade June 26, 2014 at 12:11 PM
Just asking, but on the possible "cause" of the Studio City house fire, I want to know what OTHER kinds of irons ARE there? Gas powered? Solar powered? Those run by hamsters on wheels?
Irene DeBlasio June 26, 2014 at 12:18 PM
@ChristineShade Probably sushi-powered -- Studio City is sushi-central, we are proud to say. LOL
D.L June 26, 2014 at 02:52 PM
Hurrah!! for the brigade of firemen who fought this blaze!
Elke Heitmeyer June 26, 2014 at 03:58 PM
Seems strange. Irons shut themselves off after a few minutes of inaction. Thanks to the firefighters for not letting the fire spread!

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »