Tonight I made my favorite Italian Minestrone Soup from one of my “go-to” vegan cookbooks, Cooking The Whole Foods Way by Christina Pirello. I have never been disappointed by any of the recipes I made from this wonderful cookbook, and this includes Christina’s recipe for this awesome hearty soup. I love the way she recalls her dad sitting at the head of the table while enjoying it, with a heel of bread in one hand, a spoon in the other, and intent on not leaving a drop behind. Mmmm!
VEGAN ITALIAN MINESTRONE
From Cooking The Whole Foods Way by Christina Pirello
Makes 4 to 6 servings
-1/4 cup each dried chickpeas, kidney beans and white beans, sorted, rinsed well and soaked together 1 hour
-1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
-2 to 3 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced
-1 onion, finely diced
-2 celery stalks, diced
-2 to 3 ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
-1 carrot, diced
-Generous pinch dried basil
-4 cups spring or filtered water (I use about 6-8 cups for a thinner soup)
-1 bay leaf
-1 cup tiny pasta (orzo, acini, pasting), cooked al dente and rinsed
-Several leaves broccoli rapini, diced
1) Drain beans, discarding soaking water. Heat oil in a soup pot over medium-low heat.
2) Add garlic and onion and a pinch of salt and cook for about 3 minutes.
3) Add celery, tomatoes, carrot, basil and a generous pinch of salt.
4) Cook, stirring, until coated with oil.
5) Add beans, water and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer over low heat until beans are tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
6) Season with salt to taste and simmer 10 minutes more.
7) Remove bay leaf. Stir in cooked pasta and rapini, simmer 1 minute to cook rapini and serve hot.
*Note: You can choose to cook the pasta separately so it wont get too mushy, or you may cook it in the broth (but soup will be much thicker)
For 4 more simple & delicious hearty soup recipes and links to a few others, go to:http://veganamericanprincess.com/5-essential-vegan-soup-recipes-for-fallwinter/#sthash.adWb9KEG.dpuf
Vegan American Princess
Voted #2 in Skinny Scoop's Top 25 Vegan Blogs of 2013
Pinterest: Vegan American Princess
Click Here to Like us on Facebook
Learning all about living a more vegan lifestyle---food, health, plant-based nutrition, recipes, restaurants, products, beauty, news, ideas---anything related to veganism!