The agreed Wednesday night to help pay for the baseball uniforms of the Youth Baseball Program that is run out of the ). The uniforms will cost $11,000 and the council is in it for $5,000.
Studio City Park director and Recreation Coordinator r came to the meeting to explain the situation, and show the council that they would be promoted on a banner at the games.
“This is only for a portion of the actual cost for uniforms and trophies and other expenses that are not covered by the enrollment fees,” Monick said.
Monroy-Cantor added, “We are still facing about a $70,000 cut that we have to make up for if we are going to keep the same services we have.”
Beth Dymond of the spoke in favor of the proposal, saying, “The programs going on at the center with the kids are so important, we have worked closely with them for a long time, so please go ahead and pass this.”
The council passed it unanimously.
In other measures:
- The council also funded a $1,000 request to the for ongoing maintenance of landscaping for areas like the and other areas.
- The council set aside $4,000 of the current budget in anticipation of costs of local Neighborhood Council elections, which could cost up to $8,000. The rest would be taken out of next year’s budget that starts in July. (It’s still not clear if there will be new Neighborhood Council elections, but the various councils may be required to pay for them out of the budgets given to them by the city.)
- They agreed to pay $3,000 for 50 additional street banners promoting the SCNC that are on Ventura Boulevard and other major local streets.
- The board approved $5,000 for the July 4 fireworks event.
- The council supported the request for a full line of alcohol to be served at Sammy’s Woodfire Pizza that is opening in the former Loteria spot at 12050 Ventura Blvd. (See story here.)
The stakeholders that gathered at the meeting at the lot also heard from , who is running for mayor of Los Angeles—check back for an upcoming story.